Comal BOH Specialist (Kitchen Porter)
Title: Comal BOH Specialist (Kitchen Porter)
Reports to: Comal Program Manager
Provides Supervision to: None
Status: Part Time Hourly, $16/hr; Desired Start: As Soon As Availabe
Benefits: N/A for Part Time
Mission of Focus Points Family Resource Center: To build better communities by strengthening families.
Scope of Organization: For 25 years, Focus Points has successfully worked to transform the lives of low-income families in Northeast Denver. Focus Points’ community-driven programs are aptly designed to address the myriad of challenges that our families face, helping them to move further along the pathway to self-resilience and fulfillment. The scope of our services is thus very broad, including early education, health and wellness, economic and workforce development, mental health support, basic needs assistance, public transportation, English Language Acquisition (ELA), and adult basic education. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. We encourage responses from people of all backgrounds and abilities.
The Comal BOH Specialist (Kitchen Porter) will be an expert in kitchen sanitation and safety practices. This position is responsible for maintaining a clean, organized, and healthy kitchen for the Comal program participants in alignment with public health regulations and industry best practices. The Kitchen Porter will work with Focus Points participants, who typically come from immigrant, refugee, low-income, and other diverse backgrounds.
- • Must have or be willing to achieve prior to start date a ServSafe Food Handler’s Certificate
- • This position requires the applicant to be physically capable of performing the following functions (but not limited to): back, leg and body motions in order to lift, sweep, mop, climb ladders, operate power equipment, move furniture and supplies. Able to maneuver heavy items. Intense physical activity
- • Customer service orientation; previous guest service experience an asset
- • Provide and maintain an acceptable availability (Comal requires the following availability: Monday – Friday 11:30a-4:30p; occasional nights and weekends for events)
- • Able to read and follow written/oral instructions
- • Able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- • Experience in food prep or willingness to learn food prep in a commercial kitchen
- • Must be consistently timely, punctual, and reliable
- • Bilingual in Spanish and English
Teamwork & Communication
- • Work in a team approach – assisting in all required areas of Comal service and events
- • Report equipment and/or building damages to supervisor immediately
- • Maintain good communication with peers, supervisors and Comal guests
- • Communicate problem situations as required in the best interest of guests & Comal/Focus Points
- • Let pride show in your work with guests and your peers
- • Perform additional related duties as assigned
- • Wash dishes and utensils
- • Daily clean of kitchen areas
- • Deep clean of kitchen equipment
- • Keep stores areas neat and tidy
- • Keep refrigeration and freezers organized
- • Report failing equipment to Supervisor
- • Report Health and Safety hazards to Supervisor
- • Communicate effectively with staff and participants
- • Report Porter station inventory and needs to Supervisor
- • Provide Porter support with deliveries
- • Provide porter support in all areas controlled by Focus Points and Comal
- • Practice safe and effective methods of work, use of equipment, cleaners and tools
- • Accept training to enable safe completion of duties
- • Carry out other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time.
- • Work closely with training staff and participants for training and daily objectives.
- • Interact with customers in a polite and professional manner.
- • Learn and practice the cleaning and sanitation policies of Comal.
- • Practice systems for organization.
- • Responsible for daily resetting of equipment.
- • Bussing dishes in front of house to create a clean and friendly experience.
- • Responsible for making sure glasses, plates and silverware are replenished and polished throughout service.
- • Maintaining and organizing the dish and equipment storage
- • Assisting in trash, recycling and composting removal at the end of shift and whenever necessary
- • Delivery and physical set-up/takedown of all furniture, equipment and fixtures as per EO and/or floor plan provided by Event Services Supervisor/Lead Porter
- • Setup and service a variety of event styles
- • Required to utilize a variety of equipment including o tables & chairs
- o stages and platforms with skirting
- o portable dance floors
- o vacuums and other light cleaning equipment
- • Operate freight elevators, forklift and other transportation equipment as authorized
- • Follow prescribed waste removal and recycling systems during events
- • Occupy and assist on dock area during Move In/Move Outs
- • Work as an aisle attendant during meal functions
• Reliable transportation and mobile phone service
• Ability to bend, climb, and kneel regularly in a commercial kitchen setting
• Ability to lift 50 pounds, unassisted
• Job requires irregular hours, occasional evenings, and occasional weekends
• Safety shoes required
• Must be willing and able to submit for and pass a background check prior to start date
Personal or professional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity and inclusion outcomes. Applicant must share a commitment to anti-racist work.
Send your resume, 3 references and contact information to:
Arden Lewis, Comal Program Manager; Arden@focuspoints.org
*All interested applicants should submit by: As Soon As Possible – we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis
*No phone calls please.
Focus Points Family Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, ancestry, creed, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.