Director of Development and Communications
Title: Director of Development and Communications
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full Time Salaried, $80,000 – $90,000 annually
Benefits: Hybrid work model of remote and in person work, Competitive Salary, Kaiser, Delta & Vision Insurance, LT, ST and life insurance, IRA retirement plan, Vacation/Sick time/Personal Time
Mission of Focus Points Family Resource Center: To build better communities by strengthening families.
Scope of Organization: For 27 years, Focus Points has worked successfully to transform the lives of low-income
and working families in Northeast Denver and beyond. Focus Points serves more than 2,700 participants each year,
most of whom are Spanish-speaking, immigrants, and refugees. Focus Points is committed to:
- Family Support: Advancing family sustainability through classes and guidance, using a goal setting and
- Community Resources: Connecting people to resources to advance health equity, financial stability,
networks, and community.
- Education: Opening doors to success for children and adults by providing training and high-quality
- Economic Inclusion: Driving economic stability for communities, families, and individuals by teaching
new job skills, advancing careers and co-creating businesses and social enterprises with community.
This position is critical for the stability and sustainability of the organization. This position is responsible for overseeing and implementing all development and communication-related activities and is
considered a generalist development position. This department has a solid foundation with clear processes and
procedures and is primed to flourish in the next growth stage. This position will work with a highly skilled team of
professionals, overseeing the Development & Communications Specialist, Database Specialist, Grant Contractor, and Event Contractor positions. The focus of this position will be to grow individual and corporate giving, while maintaining grant support.
- Development (70%)
• Responsible for managing philanthropic efforts for $2.5M goal
• Oversee development annual plan with key metrics included
• Maintain processes and procedures for the development department
• Build relationships with and engage donors in the organization
• Schedule, prepare for, and attend donor meetings with individual, corporate and foundations
• Manage 1 major fundraising event annually- Lotería (event contractor provided)
• Network on behalf of the organization
• Supervise Database Specialist who manages Raisers Edge Database and FRCAforce
• Track notes for donor meetings and progress
• Provide monthly development reports for Executive Director, Leadership Team and Board of Directors
• Grow monthly giving program
- Supervise Development manager who oversees grant contractor, process, and deliverables
• Identify new prospective funders
• Enroll and attend workplace giving events
• Maintain a professional attitude and adhere to a high level of confidentiality towards staff, participants, and
• Ability to work in and grow a team and collaborative culture
• Meet 1-2 times a month with the other Leadership Team members and Executive Directors
• Maintain an understanding of Focus Points programs and the connections between funding and programs
• Other duties as assigned
- Communications & Marketing (30%)
• Manage and oversee communications annual plan with key metrics included in collaboration with
• Provide Board of Directors with key messaging and opportunities to support community awareness
• Represent Focus Points with the community
• Work with Communications Specialist in developing communications strategies, goals and tactics
• Oversee centralized processes and procedures for communications and marketing
• Review and approve print and electronic marketing materials
• Direct annual report process and publication
• Work with PR contractor
• Other duties as assigned
- Relationship Building & Interpersonal Skills: Build strategic relationships with funders and other external stakeholders to enroll donors into the mission and increase funding to organization. Ability to ask for funding in an enrolling and effective approach.
- Strategic Thinking: Create annual fundraising plans to diversify and grow revenue streams and oversee development of annual
communications plans to engage multiple internal and external stakeholders (participants, donors, etc.).
- Communication: Oversee and execute messaging over a variety of communication platforms that provide clear representation of the organization, programs, and community to stakeholders. Ensure consistent and clear follow up to foster collaboration with internal staff and departments.
- Organization & Prioritization: Coordinate and balance multiple projects, including key tasks and schedules, that lead to achievement of project outcomes and goals. Prioritize projects practically with the most significant ROI for development efforts.
- Decision Making & Problem Solving: Process situations, projects, and challenges with a methodical and thoughtful approach to meet the changing needs and requirements of donors, supporters, participants, and wider general audience.
- Budgeting Skills: Create and manage budgets to closely monitor expenses, make thoughtful investments in infrastructure, and meet or exceed revenue goals.
- Supervision: Provide supervision, coaching and support to direct reports to ensure high job performance, growth, and
professional development opportunities so that all personnel perform to the best of their abilities.
- Data Analysis: Gather and interpret data from throughout the organization to tell the story of Focus Points’ mission and impact and provide that information to various audiences in an accessible format.
- Bilingual English/Spanish: Read, write and speak Spanish at basic level with other staff and participants so that staff members can be involved in organizational prioritization of linguistic justice and understand the unique qualities and needs of our community.
Personal or professional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity and inclusion outcomes. Applicant must share a commitment to anti-racist work.
COVID-19 Precaution(s): (These are subject to current guidelines)
In-person interview process; social distancing guidelines in place; masking, some virtual meetings; sanitizing procedures in place.
How to apply
Please email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Job will remain open until ideal candidate is
2501 E. 48th Ave., Denver, CO 80216
Phone: 303-292-0770 / Fax: 303-293-9386
Focus Points Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, ancestry, creed, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.90