Family Development Specialist
Title: Family Development Specialist
Reports to: Community & Family Development Manager
Provides supervision to: No supervisory responsibilities for this position
Benefits: Kaiser 90% for employee 50% for family, Delta Dental 100%, LT, ST and life insurance, Vacation/Sick time
Status: Full-Time, non-exempt, salaried
Overview: Builds nurturing relationships with families and regularly helps family members to evaluate their growth and development. Assists families in identifying strengths and needs and develops individual Family and Child Development Curriculum Plans to meet their needs.
Mission of Focus Points Family Resource Center: To build better communities by strengthening families.
Scope of Organization:
For nearly 25 years, Focus Points has worked successfully to transform the lives of low-income and working families in Northeast Denver and beyond. Focus Points serves over 1,500 families each year, most of whom are Spanish-speaking immigrants. Focus Points is committed to:
- School readiness programs to open doors to future success;
- Family literacy and adult self-reliance programs to facilitate independence;
- Healthy living and health access programs to promote active, vibrant living;
- Parent engagement and community leadership to foster empowerment; and
- Economic and workforce training and development to support financial independence and community stability.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or two years commensurate experience in case management
- Bilingual and biliterate proficiency (Spanish and English) – good oral and written expression
Note: Fluency in Spanish and English is required. Non-fluent speakers will not be considered.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience with low-income, immigrant and refugee families from diverse communities
- Computer, internet and Microsoft systems literate
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and deal with adversity
- Flexible work hours to include some evenings and weekends, as required for program delivery
- Critical thinking skills to provide creative solutions to challenging, multi-faceted problems
- Become trained in Family Development Credentials within the first six months
- Recruit individuals/families for participation in family development services
- Complete the Colorado Family Support Assessment with interested individuals/families
- Meet with individuals/families to establish goals and provide them with resources and referrals as necessary
- Case management load of up to 25 families per fiscal year
- Coordinate referrals and advocate for participants to outside agencies or other Focus Points programs when necessary
- Complete required follow-up with participants after 30, 60 and 90 days and more often if necessary.
- Maintain participant files and input data for all required databases including Efforts to Outcomes (ETO)
- Research local resources and referrals and maintain an up-to-date list
- Prepare timely reports (monthly, quarterly and yearly) and provide feedback on strengths and weakness as necessary
- Manage pre- and post-testing to ensure proper adherence to required reporting and curriculums used
- Assist in the coordination and recruitment for all family programs including Active Families (Zumba), Nutrition classes and community garden.
- Work directly with Mental Health clinician to determine needs in the community and assist in providing those additional support services.
- Recruit and assist families with applications for Medicaid and CHP+ as well as complete the follow-up
- Meet with Family Programs Department staff regularly to discuss activities, budget, goals and objectives, as well as relevant issues pertaining to family development services and programs
- Participate in maintenance/revisions of yearly program calendar
- Participate in webinars and other professional development opportunities as required by grants or program area
- Maintain a professional attitude and adhere to a high level of confidentiality toward participants and Focus Points staff
- Other duties as assigned
To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to Mayra Aviña, Community & Family Development Manager, at email@example.com.
2501 E. 48th Ave., Denver, CO 80216
Phone: 303-292-0770 / Fax: 303-293-9386
Focus Points Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, ancestry, creed, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.