Sous Chef at Comal Heritage Food Incubator
Title: Sous Chef at Comal Heritage Food Incubator
Reports to: Executive Chef
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt: 40 hours per week, competitive salary for industry + benefits
Mission of Focus Points Family Resource Center: To build better communities by strengthening families.
Scope of Organization: For almost 25 years, Focus Points has successfully worked to transform the lives of low-income families in Northeast Denver. Focus Points’ community-driven programs are aptly designed to address the myriad of challenges that our families face, helping them to move further along the pathway to self-resilience and fulfillment. The scope of our services is thus very broad, including early education, health and wellness, economic and workforce development, mental health support, basic needs assistance, public transportation, English Language Acquisition (ELA), and adult basic education.
About Comal: Comal Heritage Food Incubator is a social enterprise training program under Focus Points’ Education and Economic Opportunity Department. Comal’s mission is to increase economic mobility for low income entrepreneurs by providing the education, income, and support needed to launch their own food-based businesses.
Position Summary: Focus Points Family Resource Center is seeking a full-time, organized, passionate, and outgoing Sous Chef to join the Focus Points team, working in its social enterprise, Comal Heritage Food Incubator. The Sous Chef will be responsible for the management of the kitchen’s day-to-day administrative and operational tasks. This position also supports the training and development of Comal’s participants.
- Assists in on-the-job day-to-day Program Participant training through daily kitchen supervision
- Manages the kitchen during lunch service (i.e. expediting, quality control, etc.).
- Ensures that high quality food items are prepared in the style and manner approved by the Executive Chef for the lunch and catering programs.
- Assists the Executive Chef to update and develop Comal’s culinary curriculum.
Prep Kitchen & Event Supervision
- Oversees and maintains the daily appearance and upkeep of food preparation and storage areas, on or off site, and in accordance with state and local sanitation laws and regulations.
- Provides for the timely repair, maintenance, and upkeep of all BOH kitchen equipment and/or mechanical systems.
- Reports any injury and/or accident for customers and/or Program Participants accurately and in a timely manner to the Executive Chef.
- Manage inventory and order the appropriate food product and kitchen equipment needed for each lunch service and catering.
- Ensures, with Program Participants, that outgoing events are packed accurately and in a timely manner with all necessary equipment.
Supervision and Development of Program Participants
- Assist participants in food preparation while in a supervisory capacity, during scheduled prep time, as well as onsite at events, as necessary.
- Assist with administration of tests to Program Participants.
- Prepares the kitchen work schedules.
- Oversees the daily conduct of the Program Participants while enforcing standard policies and procedures set by the program
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Accountabilities
- At least 2 years of back of house management experience in a restaurant or catering kitchen.
- At least 5-7 years of experience in the hospitality industry.
- Must be available for some evening and weekend events where needed.
- Exceptional professional skills and demeanor.
- Effective stress management.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office.
- Experience in recipe creation and costing.
- Experience with and compassion for low-income immigrant families from diverse communities.
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and deal with adversity.
- ServSafe certification, preferred.
- Background in teaching is a plus.
- Background in social work is a plus.
Credentials, Experience and Qualifications
- Culinary Arts Degree Required or Equivalent Restaurant Industry Experience
- Bilingual proficiency; English required, Spanish Arabic, Amharic, or French preferred
Send cover letter, resume, and two references to Arden Lewis, Executive Chef at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 30th, 2019.
Focus Points Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, ancestry, creed, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.