Title: HIPPYCorps Member
Reports to: HIPPY Coordinator
Benefits: No benefits offered for this position
Mission of Focus Points Family Resource Center: Focus Points offers educational programs for adults, children, and families, as well as services to help families access health care and other necessities. The goal of all of Focus Points’ programs is to help families be successful and happy. The local community trusts Focus Points to provide high-quality programs in both Spanish and English, and to offer a safe place where every member of the family can learn, grow, and achieve.
HIPPYCorps: HIPPY is an evidence-based, home visitation program that provides weekly visits to families with children ages 3 – 5 years old. During each visit, the home visitor role plays an activity packet with the parent, which the parent then completes with their child throughout the week. Families also are invited to participate in a monthly group meeting with other families. As AmeriCorps members, the home visitors also engage in additional community service events and professional development opportunities.
Required Competencies/Education and Experience
- Have or willing to get a high school diploma/GED equivalent (Time to be determined on hiring; must be prior to using AmeriCorps education award.)
- Must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident
- Must be at least 18 years of age (or 17, with parent’s documented permission)
- Must consent and be able to pass a comprehensive criminal history check, including National Sex Offender Public Website, CBI, and FBI components
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Experience and ability to identify with low-income, immigrant families from diverse communities
- Preferred good oral expression, reading, and writing abilities
- Desire to develop computer and internet literacy
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances and deal with adversity
- Comfortable talking to families regarding potentially sensitive family issues
- Preferred Bilingual proficiency (level 5) and have good oral expression (Spanish and English)
- Preferred HIPPY/PAT program participation
- Collaborate with HIPPY Coordinator on HIPPY home-visit events throughout the year.
- Establish and maintain a warm, supportive, and respectful relationship with parents and children enrolled in HIPPY program.
- Perform weekly home visits with caseload of families.
- Help recruit families for the HIPPY Program and promote HIPPY as an ambassador will do.
- Assist in coordination of logistics, agenda, materials for meetings, events, trainings and presentations for HIPPY program.
- Maintain files of all required information for individual children throughout the program year to document children’s progress.
- Generate attendance logs and provide reports regarding HIPPY participants
- Attend role plays, staff meetings and trainings/conferences relating to HIPPY programs and family issues.
- Talk to families regarding sensitive issues in a respectful manner.
- Ensure timely submission of time sheets for payroll entry deadlines and current member data.
- Assist in timely data entry as related to the HIPPY program in the Focus Points and grant databases (once trained).
- Maintain a professional attitude and adhere to a high level of confidentiality towards students and Focus Points staff.
- Coordinate referrals and advocate for students to outside agencies or to other programs when necessary.
- Complete a minimum of 900 service hours over the service term.
- Up to 5% (i.e., 45) of a member’s hours may be served at local organizations to make up hours and promote national service in the community. Hours may not interfere with normal HIPPY service activities and must be pre-approved and documented.
- Participate in national days of service activities, including Martin Luther King Jr. Day, 9/11 Day and Cesar Chavez Day of Service and Remembrance.
- Abide by AmeriCorps regulations and provisions as directed by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
- Other duties as assigned as related to a successful service term with the HIPPYCorps program.
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedures in place
Send cover letter and resume to Glenda Caridad at email@example.com. Please no phone calls.
Focus Points Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, ancestry, creed, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.