Comal Hospitality Specialist
Title: Comal Hospitality Specialist
Reports to: Culinary Program Manager
Status: Full Time Salaried, $32,500 – $37,500 Annually – Non-Exempt
Desired Start: August 1st, 2022
Benefits: Kaiser 90% for employee 50% for family, Delta Dental 100% for employee 50% for family, LT, ST and life insurance, IRA retirement plan up to 3% match, Vacation/Sick time/Personal Time.
Mission of Focus Points Family Resource Center: To build better communities by strengthening families.
Scope of Organization: For 25 years, Focus Points has successfully worked to transform the lives of low-income families in Northeast Denver. Focus Points’ community-driven programs are aptly designed to address the myriad of challenges that our families face, helping them to move further along the pathway to self-resilience and fulfillment. The scope of our services is thus very broad, including early education, health and wellness, economic and workforce development, mental health support, basic needs assistance, public transportation, English Language Acquisition (ELA), and adult basic education. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our staff and providing culturally responsive programs and services. We encourage responses from people of all backgrounds and abilities. Comal Heritage Food Incubator is a social enterprise training program under Focus Points’ Social Enterprise Department. Comal’s mission is to increase economic mobility for low-income entrepreneurs by providing the education, income, and support needed to launch their own food-based businesses.
Focus Points Family Resource Center is looking for one (1) qualified candidate to fill our Comal Hospitality Specialist position. The Comal Hospitality Specialist will be responsible for maintaining a clean, organized, friendly, and healthy dining area for guests and the Comal program participants in alignment with public health regulations and industry best practices. This position is also the primary administrative support for the Comal Program reporting directly to the Program Manager. The FOH specialist will work with Focus Points participants, who typically come from immigrant, refugee, low-income, and other diverse backgrounds.
- Hospitality Knowledge – Ability to execute sales transactions and operate in a fast-casual lunch counter and training program using industry best practices to support developing and maintaining a successful business, program, and guest experience while upholding the industry’s safety and sanitation regulations
- Mathematics – Ability to count and reconcile cash in drawer, count and update inventory and manage monetary transactions daily to ensure financial accuracy.
- Bilingual & Biliterate in Spanish Language – Advanced oral and written Spanish to support linguistic justice for Spanish-speaking participants and ensure equitable access to information and social capital.
- Time Management – Ability to start shift at scheduled time and manage expectations for staff and participants when needed to support a stable and consistent staff presence for the program, participants, and guests, while fulfilling other organizational responsibilities.
- Written and Oral Communication – Ability to effectively communicate thoughts, ideas, and plans in written and verbal forms of communication to ensure quality drafting of standard operating procedures, coordinating events and communicating via electronic methods.
- Computer/Technology Fundamentals – Ability to create documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and communicate over various platforms (such as Microsoft Office Suite, TOAST point of sale system) to effectively share information with staff, participants, and partners in digital formats.
- Attention to Detail – Ability to evaluate front of house operations and identify areas of improvement to ensure compliance with the Department of Health, a positive customer experience and a safe and sanitary environment for participants to learn in.
- Monitoring and Controlling Resources – Ability to monitor, maintain and inventory products or materials needed to support the learning of participants in a commercial restaurant.
- Management of Financial Resources – Ability to create a budget and manage revenue and expenses to effectively match financial resources to needs for positive program outcomes.
- Training & Instructing – Ability to support the administration of the Comal curriculum based on participant workforce readiness or business goals, while adhering to the highest industry standards of hospitality and business training.
- Perform Administrative Activities – Ability to perform duties such as calendar management, typing, accepting and/or checking orders, reconciling emails from guests and partners, to ensure inquires and feedback are answered in a timely fashion and that information is properly evaluated by staff so opportunities for growth can be captured.
- ServSafe Food Manager Certification
- TIPS On-Premise Alcohol Certification, or must be willing to obtain within 30 days of employment
- Valid Driver’s License
- Reliable transportation and mobile phone service
- Ability to bend, climb, and kneel regularly in a commercial kitchen setting
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Ability to stand for 6 hours
- Promote a healthy and safe environment for all to work and learn .
- Assist participants in filling out weekly stipend invoices by their due date.
- Assist in front and back of house as needed for daily operations, including but not limited to dishwashing, trash removal, simple food prep and general cleaning of the premises.
- Understand customer needs and point of sale functions.
- Open and close cash drawers daily on POS.
- Print daily closeout reports.
- Develop and update FOH Training Manual as needed.
- Work with Culinary Program Manager to develop FOH curriculum for participants based on FOH Training Manual.
- Ensure cash drawer has sufficient cash on hand at all times, to include going to the bank to make change.
- Coordinate the Comal stand at annual, weekly Huerta Urbana Farmer’s Market, Fridays from June-October.
- Assist in executing new ideas and opportunities for participants, program, and business .
- Assist in developing restaurant policies and procedures handbook for CoCuA .
- Be available to answer participant and staff questions concerning operations.
- Help train participants in day-to-day front of house operations as well as longer-term training for program outcomes .
- Assist with media & special events.
- Attend Comal, Social Enterprise, and Focus Points staff meetings.
- Support the development of programming and conduct educational programming.
- Coordinate 1:1 sessions and other program related meetings for participants with program manager .
- Assisting in coordinating the onboarding process for new participants .
- Support the planning and implementation of comprehensive inventory systems and oversight procedures.
- Support the Culinary Program Manager to supervise, mentor, and support participants, staff, and volunteers in the recruitment, implementation, and caseload maintenance of the program.
- Attend required training for Family Resource Center Association including Standards of Quality, Motivational Interviewing, Compassion Fatigue, and DEI Training.
- Support Social Media contractor with on-site content.
- Build relationship of support and mutual respect with all Comal participants’ families, partner organizations, and other Focus Points program participants.
- Understand and partner with the network of internal Focus Points departments and external partner organizations to coordinate resources and referrals for program families.
- Serve as a representative of the Comal program and Focus Points within the community.
- Support development of monthly program report with Program Manager.
Personal or professional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as demonstrated by persistent effort, active planning, allocation of resources and/or accountability for diversity and inclusion outcomes. Applicant must share a commitment to anti-racist work.
Send your resume, cover letter, 3 references, and contact information to: Arden Lewis, Culinary Program Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
*All interested applicants should submit by: July 25, 2022 by 11:59pm
*No phone calls please.
Focus Points Resource Center is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information, ancestry, creed, gender identity or expression, and sexual orientation, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.July 25